The vision of CREATE Health is to use an integrative approach to develop novel diagnostics tools and therapies. This is done by identifying new molecular signatures and therapeutic concepts for cancer, to create a substantial social impact for the patient. The main achievements during CREATE Health´s first 10 years is shown below.
CREATE Health has in the different areas discovered the following:
- Protein signatures that define five main types of Breast cancer
- Serum biomarker signatures that allow risk classification of Breast cancer patients regarding tumor recurrence
- New genomic breast tumor subtypes on whole-genome patterns of DNA aberrations
- Specific DNA methylation patterns in different subtypes of Breast cancer
- Prognostic gene expression signature from sub-classification of HER2 amplified/expressing Breast cancers
- Association between the expression of EPO receptor and Tamoxifen response in Breast cancer patients
Other cancer types
- Serum biomarker signatures that identify stage I/II Pancreatic cancer, forming the basis for an early diagnostic test
- Designed a novel serum-based clinical test for Ovarian cancer, which makes it possible to distinguish between benign, malignant and 'borderline' cases
- Association between the expression of EPO receptor and Tamoxifen response in Lymphoma and Ovarian cancer patients
- HIF-2a as a therapeutic target for tumor stem cells of
- Neurally derived tumors
- Gene expression subtypes with correlation to prognosis in stage IV Malignant melanoma
The role of SOX11
- SOX11 defined as a novel histological marker for mantle cell lymphoma forming the basis for an improved clinical diagnosis
- SOX11 as a potential tumor suppressor gene in mantle cell lymphoma and ovarian cancer
- Developed a novel proteomic technology platform entitled Global Proteome Survey (GPS) capable of transforming affinity proteomics to a global discovery engine. The GPS combines the best features of affinity proteomics with mass-spectrometry and is based on antibodies specific for short peptide motifs shared by many proteins – CIMS antibodies.
- Developed a high-throughput and sensitive protein affinity extraction platform, which directly interfaces with MALDI. This offers new means for rapid screening of biomarkers in complex biofluids – AFFIRM
- Affinity Proteomics - Developed a robust, multiplexed antibody microarray platform where hundreds of serum protein can be screened in a few days. The general conclusions from analyzing several different complex disease indications, is that 20-25 proteins in serum can be used as a biomarker “signature” to discriminate different complex disease indications.
- Developed methods to monitor the state of DNA repair pathways, which opens up for defining targets for therapeutic interventions